You should speak with a health care provider or nursing assistant if:
- You think you may be expecting
- Your period that is next is than a week later
- Your duration is faster or lighter than typical
- You have got any sudden or uncommon discomfort in your reduced stomach (this might be a sign of a ectopic maternity, in which a fertilised egg implants outs
The crisis contraceptive capsule may connect to other medications. Included in these are:
- The organic medication St John’s Wort
- Some medications utilized to deal with epilepsy
- Some medications utilized to deal with HIV
- Some medications utilized to deal with tuberculosis (TB)
- Medicine such as for instance omeprazole (an antacid) in order to make your stomach less acid
EllaOne may not be used as it may not be effective if you are already taking one of these medicines.
Levonelle may nevertheless be utilized, however the dosage might need to be increased – your physician or pharmacist can advise with this.
There must be no relationship involving the crisis pill and a lot of antibiotics. Two enzyme-inducing antibiotics (called rifampicin and rifabutin), used to treat or avoid meningitis or TB, may affect ellaOne while they’re being taken as well as for 28 times a while later.
Should you want mail-order-wives.org to make sure that your medicines are safe to simply simply take because of the crisis contraceptive supplement, pose a question to your GP or a pharmacist. It’s also wise to see the client information leaflet that is included with your medications.
Can I have the crisis contraceptive tablet ahead of time?
You may well be capable of getting the crisis contraceptive tablet prior to having non-safe sex if:
- You might be focused on your method that is contraceptive failing
- You’re happening vacation
- You simply cannot get your hands on crisis contraception effortlessly
Pose a question to your GP or nurse for more info on getting advance crisis contraception.
The IUD as crisis contraception
The device that is intrauterineIUD) is a tiny, T-shaped contraceptive unit produced from synthetic and copper. It’s inserted in to the womb by an experienced wellness professional. It may avoid an egg from implanting in your womb or being fertilised.
You could have ovulated, to prevent pregnancy if you’ve had unprotected sex, the IUD can be inserted up to five days afterwards, or up to five days after the earliest time. It’s more efficient at preventing maternity compared to crisis product, also it will not connect to just about any medicine.
You can even elect to have the IUD left in as an ongoing approach to contraception.
Just exactly How effective may be the IUD at preventing maternity?
There are many forms of IUD. Newer ones have significantly more copper as they are significantly more than 99% effective. Less than two feamales in 100 whom use a more recent IUD over 5 years can get expecting. IUDs with less copper inside them are less efficient than this, but are nevertheless effective. The IUD works more effectively compared to the crisis capsule at preventing pregnancy after unsafe sex.
Who is able to utilize the IUD?
The majority of women may use an IUD, including ladies who have not been expecting and the ones that are HIV good. Your GP or clinician will inquire about your medical background to test if an IUD would work for your needs.
You ought not to make use of an IUD when you yourself have:
- An untreated STI or even a pelvic illness
- Particular abnormalities for the womb or cervix
- Any unexplained bleeding from your vagina – for example, between durations or after sex
Ladies who have heart condition should consult their GP or cardiologist before having an IUD installed.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
The IUD really should not be placed when there is a danger you may currently be expecting. The IUD can safely be used if you’re breastfeeding, nevertheless the danger of problems during insertion is somewhat greater.
Do you know the relative unwanted effects of this IUD
Problems after having an IUD fitted are unusual, but can consist of discomfort, illness, harm to the womb or expulsion (the IUD coming from the womb). If you utilize the IUD as a continuous way of regular contraception, it might probably create your durations much longer, heavier or higher painful.
The IUD as well as other medications
The emergency IUD will perhaps perhaps not respond with just about any medicine.
Where may I get emergency contraception?
You will get the crisis contraceptive supplement and also the IUD for free of:
- A GP surgery providing you with contraception (some GP surgeries may well not give you the IUD)
- A contraception hospital
- A health clinic that is sexual
- Some genitourinary medication (GUM) clinics
- Some young adults’s clinics (phone our helpline that is sexual on 22 44 88)
You may obtain the crisis contraceptive supplement free of:
- Many pharmacies
- Some small injuries devices
- Some Accident & crisis divisions
The physician or nursing assistant you notice may ask for the after information:
- If you have had non-safe sex in your overall menstrual period
- The date for the very first time of the final duration in addition to typical period of your period
- Details of any failure that is contraceptivesuch as for instance what number of pills you’ve probably missed, when)
- If you have utilized any medicines that could impact your contraception
If you are aged 13 or higher, you will get contraception through the greater part of community pharmacies in Scotland, frequently cost-free. If you’re maybe not entitled to NHS Scotland solutions, you can aquire the crisis contraceptive capsule from many pharmacies. The price varies, nonetheless it will be around ?30 to ?35.
Contraception for future years
If you should be maybe not utilizing a regular way of contraception, you could start thinking about performing this so that you can lower the possibility of unintended maternity. Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) supplies the most dependable security against pregnancy, and also you do not have to think you have sex about it every day or each time.
LARC methods are the:
Where can I have it?
This will depend which type of emergency contraception you employ. There’s two practices:
- The emergency contraceptive capsule (early morning after pill) – there are 2 types, Levonelle or ellaOne
- The intrauterine device (IUD, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity if:
- You have not utilized contraception
- Your typical way of contraception has failed
Crisis contraception shouldn’t be utilized rather than your method that is usual of.
The earlier you employ crisis contraception after having unsafe sex, the more effective it really is. For lots more information, observe how effective is crisis contraception?
The crisis contraceptive tablet
Levonelle is present totally free with no prescription. You will get it from many pharmacies as well as from your own GP or health clinic that is sexual. Make use of our nationwide Service Directory to get pharmacy that is nearest, GP surgery or sexual wellness hospital.
Levonelle and ellaOne are both available cost-free. You will get them from most community pharmacies as well as from your own GP or health clinic that is sexual.
Levonelle could be taken within 72 hours (3 days) of experiencing unsafe sex, but it is most reliable if taken within 12 hours of getting sex that is unprotected.
You are taking one Levonelle tablet. It really works by stopping or delaying ovulation (whenever your ovaries launch an egg).
EllaOne could be taken within 120 hours (five times) of experiencing unprotected sex, but it’s most reliable if taken at the earliest opportunity after having sex that is unprotected.
You take one tablet that is ellaOne. It prevents or delays ovulation and causes it to be harder for a egg that is fertilised implant to your womb.
The IUD (intrauterine device) is present from:
- Contraception clinics
- Brook centers
- Many intimate wellness clinics (GUM clinics)
- Many GP surgeries
The IUD is positioned as part of your womb. It damages both the semen as well as the egg, and stops an egg that is fertilised in your womb.
It should be fitted by a medical practioner within five days of having sex that is unprotected or, if it is feasible to calculate whenever you ovulate, as much as five times when you ovulate. The IUD is considered the most type that is effective of contraception.
It is possible to maintain the IUD in as the method that is regular of, or a medical practioner can take it off through your next duration.
Crisis contraception may never be suitable for every person. Learn more about crisis contraception.
If you should be ill
If you should be ill (vomit) within three hours of taking Levonelle or ellaOne, get hold of your GP. You might have to take another product.
Just exactly How effective will it be?
It depends which kind of crisis contraception you employ and exactly how quickly it is used by you.
There are two main types of crisis contraception:
- The crisis contraceptive pill – or morning-after tablet – referred to as Levonelle or ellaOne
- The copper IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity for those who haven’t utilized contraception or think your method that is usual of has unsuccessful.